Posted by: Martin | 2008-11-12

Stem cell research

Hi! My question was intended for the genticist but I was referred to you. I would like to know which doctors/companies in the world are at the forefront of stem cell research - I would like to ask one of these doctors whether they would be interested in performing a specific experiment on me using stem cells. Who/what would be the best to approach? Thank you.

OK. Here's a summary. We keep hearing news reports about stem-cell research, and indeed some advances are being made, but they are many years away from being productive of actual methods which are even possible to use in humans, let alone having been tested and shown to be both effective and safe ( if they;re not both effective and safe, they'd be of no use at all ). And for their research, its generally at the stage of working with lab animals like white mice, and not in humans. When it gets to that stage, which won't be for some eyars yet, they generally call for volunteers among the students at each particular university where the research might be occurring.
So your thoughts of volunteering for such research is rather premature, though very public-spirited of you. What is it that you have in mind ? What sort of "specific experiment" have you been thinking about, and why do you feel you would be a particularly apt experimental subject for it ?
Do respond in a fresh message ( as I don't see this one again, having once replied to it ).