Question

Steam room @ the gym

Dear Fitness doc,
does going to the steam room have any benefits on my body?

Hi Anon

It's questionable. There are advocates for it, but they don't have the evidence in the form of proper research to back up claims that it improves circulation and so forth. If you think about it, how would you even prove that anyway? But, many people think it really helps, it certainly can have a very positive effect on how you FEEL, and that's very, very important.

It's not a weight loss tool - the only thing you lose is water, and so that's not what you want to do. It may help circulation, and it certainly helps you to learn to adapt to the heat, although this effect is reversed quickly too.

The biggest benefit, I believe, is a mental one, and so if you enjoy it, if you feel invigorated, then by all means. But don't substitute it for something else that may not have the same effect, like proper training!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/12/15

Hi Anon

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc