Question
Posted by: mama | 2008/07/28

Steam room

After having gone into a steam room at the gym I develop flu-like symptoms (sore throat, running nose). What could be the cause, and what can I do not have this problem. Sauna perhaps?

Hi Mama

Could be that the steam and heat are drying out your nasal passage - I'd expect this from the sauna, not so much the steam room, but it's possible. Perhaps you're just sensitive to the hot air and it causes this. You might dry the sauna, it is possible that the steam and humidity are the problem for you. So it's worth an experiment. Otherwise, i think that drinking a lot of water, to keep your nasal and mouth passages moist will help.