Question
Posted by: blossom | 2009/02/21

stealing when under pressure

i suffer with bipolar and have had a problem all my life with stealing. stealing from close family and friends - things they wont notice etc. i feel awful afterwards. it seems to escalate when i feel under stress or pressure. is this part of my illness?

The tendency to steal would need to be dealt with speifically by CBT counselling / therapy, and the bipolar disorder treated properly with medication by a good psychiatrist. Stealing is not a part of Bipolar Disorder, but in a deept depression or highm manic episode, people's judgement may be impaired and they may be more likely to do foolish things