Question
Posted by: dinono | 2008/07/23

stealing company

I Work for a travel agency company and i have just opened my own though i am still working for them cause i dont have enough funds to run my company.

i want to resign in december but my question is what if they find out. i dont have e-mail at home so i use a webmail one at work. also if i can resign now, what if my company does not do well.

any advice? has anyone done anthing like this before?

,,,,,

3
Posted by: I' ve done it | 2008/07/23

I did - its hard going initially and you must make sure you have some cash (not alot) to pay for telephone, petrol (if you' re going to travel), etc. Carry on doing what you are doing and dont get too technical. Within 4 months I signed on 12 clients and increased my salary (working for a company) from R9,000 to R25,000 and I never thought it possible to ever work for myself. A manager at the company I was at before embarking on my venture worked there for 8 yrs and was on R18,000 pm when I left (I saw her payslip as I worked in accounts). Don' t be afraid - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reply to I&#39 ve done it
Posted by: John | 2008/07/23

Check your Letter of Appointment or Employment Contract - there may be some reference to ' moonlighting'  in it. But running a parallel business and using their infrastructure to do so is probably criminal, or at fraudulent but most definitley firable for, to coin a phrase. I won' t even say be careful not to get caught as it is bound to come out, with dire consequences. I would suggest working very hard over the next year, saving like crazy and then resigninng and then running your own shop.

Stop what you are doinig immediately as it could land you in the chookie, from whence travel agenting is improbable.

Reply to John
Posted by: Danger | 2008/07/23

Havent you heard of a restraint of clause provison. As far as I know you cant do that, its like you are a stealing competitor. Right now you' ll be luring their clients as well.
Check your employment contract and see what it says re use of company resources for personal gain or competitor' s gain and what happens within 6 months of your resignation.

Reply to Danger