Posted by: Sushi | 2011-11-23

Stealing Child

I have a Five years old Girl, who steals little things like food, chips, etc. and see nothing wrong with it. When i try to advise her that its wrong and a bad behaviour, she does not take it seriously, should I be worried?

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Yes, you should be. After all you are the parent and when you tell your child that she is doing something wrong she should be taking you very seriously. It seems that your daughter does not yet realize that actions have consequences. One way of getting this through to her is by taking a favorite toy away or something she values each time she "steals" something. When she objects you simply reply that when you do something wrong such as stealing there are consequences. So if she makes a choice to take something without asking, she is also making the choice at that moment to give up something she values. When she comes round to understanding and changing her behavior you can reward her by returning her valued items. All children need to understand that all behavior - good or not has consequences that will directly impact on them.