Question
Posted by: Confused | 2008/10/22

STD question

Hi Doc,

I am so confused and do not know where to turn, the gynaedoc usually gives such vague answers and hope you will be able to help me......

About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with HPV now i have been with the same partner for 11 years and have 2 kids I have done all the research possibly can on this virus and made peace with it... About a week ago my husband went for a complete physicall and they did some tests and bloodwork on him as well....yesterday he told me that the doctor phoned him said everything came back ok but he has the chlamydia bacteria which is a STD...

Please give me some info on this because all the sites i visit just makes me more and more confused.......will this bacteria be a cause of my HPV and vice versa????
How long before the symptoms appear after you got the virus through sexual inercourse???
This bacteria i know can be cured through antibiotics and i have to go to the dr tomorrow to get my prescription....can my husband have got this virus before we were together and will it go away after the antibiotic course????

I know i have got alot of questions but please help me because i can only go see my gynae in December and i sit with this imense turmoil within me.....

Thank you in advance

Dear Confused
HPV is human papilloma virus ( same virus that causes warts) It is a sexual transmitted disease (STD). Chlamydia is a bacteria and also a Sexual transmitted disease. Chlamydia does not cause HPV, it is a seperate STD. Some people don't have symptoms but if they do get symptoms they usually get them within a month of contact. Also see
http://www.cdc.gov/std/Chlamydia/STDFact-Chlamydia.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm
We usually do STD screening with a regular medical examination when the patient asks for it or if there are symptoms or clinical signs that warrants STD screening.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/06

okae well my vagina gets really itchy to a point where i scratch and now i have like a pink patch around it and it is very itchy and stings aolt.. i have had sex with a partner and they have told me that they had a bit of a problem right after sleeping with me..so if it is a disease how can i cure it because i dont think going to the family doctor is agood idea and letting my mom who is a nurse knw