Posted by: Busi | 2009-04-30

STD on 5 year old?

I have a baby boy of 5 years and I and his father are positive we did not test if he was but recently we have noticed that he has a problem with his pennis as if he has a discharge and would like to know is he has an STD or he might be HIV positive ?

Dear Busi
He may just have a urine tract infection. Babies born with HIV usually are sickly from birth and get recurrent infections ( pneumonia, diarrhoea). They also develop slow and usually are underweight. STD's are sexually transmitted so is unlikely in a child unless they are sexually molested.
Rather take him to a doctor as he probably needs antibiotics. It may be a good thing to have him tested as antiretroviral medication is available for children that test positive and it makes a huge difference in their quality of life.

if i were you i would get him tested. this is not something to be messed with.