Question
Posted by: Stressed dude | 2009-01-12

STD

HI,

I went to my doctor on saturday with a suspected bladder infection. (Penial discharge and it burned when i urinated). THe doctor tested my urine. I was too embarassed/afraid to ask what it was, but judging from the situation, its gonorrhea :(. Yes, i did something very stupid about 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, he prescribed ciprofloxacin 500mg twice daily - 10 tablets. I have 4 left now and the symptoms have only improved mildly. should i finish the course of the anti biotic? or should i go see him before then? Also, how long does it take for this disease to clear up? Will drinking lots of water help clear up the infection?

I also want to have an HIV test just to be sure. Is the PCR test/p24 test accurate? How much will this test cost? Can they detect the virus if infected within 15 days?

Sorry, am asking loads of questions.

Thanks for the help.

Dear Stressed Dude
Complete the course of antibiotics - it will take about a week to clear up. Drinking lots of water may improve symptoms but will not cause the infection to clear up quicker
The HIV PCR test is accurate - will cost about R300. A PCR (R300) plus a viral load test (R850) can determine infection at approximately 30 days after contact

1
Posted by: funkymama | 2009-01-12

go see your doctor again. its the safest! if you let it be it might just get worse. i did something stupid 2 weeks ago too, but i thank the LORD all is ok. i hope that this experience has learnt us both a big lesson.
good luck!

Reply to funkymama