Posted by: mimi | 2011-11-28

Staying tired ....just want to sleep

Hi doc

I had my aortic valve repair (regurtetating) 2 years ago ,I am 33 years old , since last week , I have noticed that it feels as if I don''t get enough sleep , I will sleep my normal 8 hours but I wake up so tired it feels I can just fall back on the bed and sleep , this weekend , my feet started swelling , my dr told me last year that if I wake up with swollen feet I must worry , now my feet swell up during the day , it subsides a bit but gets worse over the weekend , my feet has not been this swollen since before my op in 2009. I''ve had some palpitations but will not say this is a matter of concerne now , the biggest is this really bad tiredness combinded with the swollen feet. I have made an app. to see my gp this pm , not sure if I need to see my Cardiologist ? I must be honest that I am a bit stressed , I am scared that the repaired valve got torn or something (my surgeon explained that he stiched the three leaflets of the aortic valve together in the middle with one stich).......

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Mimi.

I am sorry to hear about your problem. Unfortunately it sounds as though either the heart valve is not functioning normally, or the heart muscle is weakened as a result of years of dealing with the leaking valve.

You need to go and see your cardiologist, who will advise an echocardiogram and probably a blood test called a proBNP. He or she will also put you onto medication which should soon make you feel better. It is a good idea to see your GP, but he will almost certainly refer you to your cardiologist.

I hope things get much better once you are on appropriate treatment.

Best wishes. JT.