Question
Posted by: Leah | 2011/10/11

staying thick and toned

Hi FD

I''ve put on the 2-3 kg I wanted to put on, largely by completely stopping gym and eating a lot more. However my body has gone softer. Accordingly I''ve gone back to the gym (where I used to go 4-6 times a week) to tone up. Problem is I am immediately losing the weight I worked so hard to put on. How do I make sure I don''t lose wieght - but am able to train at least thrice a week? The two seem to be mutually exclusive. I only do weights by the way, no cardio as it will only burn fat. How do I keep the wieght on but make it firm? I eat a lot of food and even take calorie supplements (Ensure). The weight only stays up if I stay away from gym - but I don''t want to do that. Should I take something from the bodybuilding aisle, like a whey protein supplement or sth? Ensure is just a normal food supplement which anyone can take. Or shd I amend my diet? What shd I put n it to keep my weight up as a regular gymmer?

Hi Leah

OK, so you're kind of seeing the results of an "experiment" on yourself here! First you increased mass by increasing energy intake, and now you've seen it come down as a result of increasing energy output. So yes, the two are linked, they're opposite sides of a "scale" and if you're staying weight stable, it's because the two are equal. If you want to train and maintain weight, then you need to increase energy intake to match the new balance, on the other side.

Having said that, you're already supplementing (stick with Ensure - better and safer than the somewhat dodgy proteins), and so it seems you have a problem most people wish they had - that of losing weight! I think the best thing you can do is see a dietician. The nuances here will be the timing of meals, frequency per day, and then obviously what you eat, because you need to find ways to keep up with what must be a pretty fiery metabolism!

So that's what I'd suggest. In terms of training, you might want to lift slightly heavier, increase the muscle mass focus a little more.

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/10/13

Hi Leah

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc