Question
Posted by: Bryan | 2010/02/04

State sector help

I really need some assistance for a severe depression and other problems I' m experiencing. I have very little financial means so I can' t get private help. Is the state sector, like a state psychiatrist / psychologist or psychiatric hospital (as an ' outpatient' ) an option, and what would the financial costs be? At what point are they able to treat someone? Would my GP be able to help with the necessary referrals?

It's surely an option, and, maybe to a greater degree than in the private sector, quality varies but ought to be adequate. I think there is a charge based on their admin estimate of your income. A GP could surely refer you, either to a particular clinic or to a particular doctor, and one could also enter the system via the c asualty department, though this usually involves a much longer waiting time and more frustration. But I bow to Liza's greater experience in
this specific field !
A nice example, too, of cat's as co-therapists !

5
Posted by: Bongi | 2010/02/05

I agree with Liza. My sister also just went to a local clinic and the nursing sister made an appointment for her. The psychiatrist saw my sister the same day. And then she is scheduled to go for as long as she needs for free.

Reply to Bongi
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/05

I wanted to day LOTS of experience, but my laptop just decided to post the previous message on it' s own.

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/05

Another place to go is the psychiatric department at your nearest university. There you could get treated by the senior specialists with LOTS(although they probably won' t supply medication unless it' s medication still being researched and then you have to doubt about whether they' re giving you the real thing, or the placebo)

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/05

I' ve had excellent help from the state sector. All you need to do is go to your closest clinic with a mental health department. (The numbers should be on the government department sites) There the psychiatric nursing sister will make you an appointment with the psychiatrist at the clinic. They are able to treat anyone and most of the time, the help is free of charge. It might be 2 weeks until you get to see a psychiatrist, but if it is really an emergency, the psychiatric nursing sister tell you go to the nearest district hospital with a referral letter and you might have to be admitted. This is just so that they can get your medication stable. If you go to the nearest district hospital on your own, you will wait a long time to see anyone and you have to pay according to your income (I think I paid R40 since I was unemployed) When I was admitted, the entire 2 weeks in hospital cost me another R40 too. They stabilised me on medication - although the psychiatrist was a bit of a quack psychologically. She told my mom to get a job and support her sick daughter. My mom doesn' t even have matric and was a housewife for years - idiot quack. Were would my mom get a job that would support me financially?!? Luckily I saw a psychologist every day too and she was absolutely great. She built me up day by day from utter despair. Even the food was edible - although they wouldn' t give us metal knifes to eat with - only plastic due to the danger of a metal knife being stolen, sharpened and used to slit wrists with. They even confiscated my razor and I had to ask permission to use it. It' s definitely not like private though. The ward I was in, was locked in at night for the first 5 days - with no bathroom in the locked part. I had to keep on asking them to unlock so I could go to the loo during the night. After that I was in the ' easy'  patient section that wasn' t locked at night. They even gave me a private room since there was no smoking section and told me to smoke in my room at the window with the window open. (we weren' t allowed outside except with my psychologist appointments which we held under a tree in the garden) The wild cats were a delight too. They would come to the security gate after mealtimes and beg for food. Chicken bones were in abundant supply and one cat became fond enough of me to allow to pet him before I give him his bone. But I digress.

Where are you located? Perhaps I can get you the number of the best place to go in your area.

Reply to Liza

this specific field !