Posted by: Dad to be | 2009-09-07

Starving during pregnancy

Hi there. My wife is 30 weeks pregnant. We are muslims and currenly observing the fasting month where we donot eat or drink from sunrise to sunset. My wife, despite being 30 weeks pregnant, has managed to keep all 16 fast so far where she has abstained from eating and drinking for over 13 hours a day.

Is this advisable given her condition, or is she doing any harm to herself and/or the baby. She claims to be managing fine and does not want to stop fasting despite my numerous requests.

Please advise.

It is definitely not advisable for pregnant women to fast. This can cause serious harm to the baby who is starved for this period of time.