Starving at 16:00

Something happens to my sugar levels at 16:00  at this time every day I browse the fridge and pantry for something, anything to eat. This lasts until I go to bed. I have tried to eat more filling meals during the day to curb this crash  I have tried to be disciplined and just not eat anything at this time outside of my dinner - I become incredibly unpleasant and snap at everyone. I eat healthily, never skip breakfast, have 6 small meals a day. I thought I was doing everything right - please help!

Dear Starving
This dip in sugar levels towards the late afternoon happens in many people, but if as you describe, you get irritable and feel as if you are starving and possibly also feel a bit shaky, then you may be suffering from hypoglycaemia. I would recommend that you ask your gp to test if you do have hypoglycaemia and if this is confirmed then you will need to eat a low glycaemic index (GI) diet. Such a diet needs to consist of low-GI foods, esp low-GI carbohydrates. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You may find it tricky to get into eating only low-GI foods so it may also be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. You can also contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: for additional information about low-GI eating.
Hope you can get those blood sugar levels under control.

Posted by: John | 2009-09-18

a tamato and a piece of cucumber helps for me!
One can have lots of cucumber without problems

Reply to John
Posted by: Zexeon | 2009-09-17

With the meal for lunch my sugar was 15:30 4.6 and today with a PS its 5.0 so I suppose there no need for fruit but if you sure you don' t want to eat cause your tummy is tight or just that the food looked yummy or you bored or you want to emotional eat then you could have a fruit as either you must have 6 very small meals (really small) or 3 larger ones.

Reply to Zexeon