Posted by: mags | 2009-09-02

I seem to be starving al the time, I really mean I am not thirsty I am STARVING..... I have an underactive thyroid but choose not to take the medication and now I am paying for it. I have oats cooked with milk in the morning,11 am a banana and a pear, 1pm brown rice and lentils with tomato a quater wheel of feta, red pepper , avo, lemon juice, mustard powder salt and pepper. 3pm I have 3 thin sesame rice cakes. and for dinner sometimes chicken , mash(with nothing added) or mince or pork and veg and at 7pm a banana. but I am really suffering, this is not enough and I am trying my best not to stuff myself in between, but I dont know how long I am going to last. I am putting on weight at a rate of 1kg per week and have picked up 12 kg to date. I am 58 yrs old 1.70 tall and weight 69kg.Is my constant HUNGER due to my hormons that are deurmekaar. should I go back to my doctor with my hat in my hands and beg her for my Eltroxin? help!! help!!help!!

Dear Mags
It is ESSENTIAL that you take thyroid hormone replacement therapy if you have an underactive thyroid because this not only influences your weight, but will also slowly make all your metabolic processes grind to a halt. The thyroid gland has been compared to the "conductor" of the orchestra of the body - if something goes wrong with the thyroid then the whole body goes wrong. Your present BMI of 23,8 is still well within the normal range. When you were 12 kg lighter your BMI = 19,7 which was bordering on underweight, so when you start taking your thyroid medication please don't continue starving yourself. You need more fuel for your body to function and to give you energy and nutrients to keep you healthy.
So please go back to the dr and ask for the thyroid therapy.