Question
Posted by: clare | 2010/10/19

Starting a family

Hi Dr, my husband and I have been married four years. We started ttc in April 2007. I was previously on depo for +- 6 years pending that. I have been for a laparoscopy pending 9 months on clomid. I ovulated with each cycle on clomid yet nothing happened. The laparoscopy shows my uterus, ovaries, tubes are all in good working order. I had minimal endo behind my womb which he lasered off. My husband has also subsequently been tested and all is fine. After a three months break during which time I once again. Had irregular periods I have started clomid again! I have just finished my first treatment, was this a wise thing to do? If I didn''t fall pregnant on it previously what are my chances now? Thanks in advance

Dear Clare

Given that all investigations to date have been within normal limits the problem would be classified as unexplained infertility. In such cases it is often noted that some form of fertilization failure is likely to be present. This implies that the union of sperm and egg may not be occurring either due to some form of defect on the egg or within the egg or alternately chemical problems relating to the sperm. The diagnosis is extremely difficult and often can only be in a laboratory situation through invitro fertilization. Problems related to embryo formation or abnormalities pertaining to the embryo should be considered as well and once again this can be established in a laboratory environment. I would suggest that a review of all the investigations be undertaken by a fertility specialist before embarking on the invitro fertilization option.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/10/26

Dear Clare

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert