Question

Starting a cycle

Hi Dr
I have posted in before regarding my query that still persists and I am sorry to be a nag on this forum.
I am trying to conceive and stopped taking my pill about 70 days ago which was the start of my last period. It is now two and a half months and still no period or sign that I could be getting one. I have done pregnancy tests and ovulation (home) tests and they are all negative. I am trying for my second baby and would really not like to wait a year to fall pregnant again. I know there is no way of planning exact age gaps etc and these things do take time but I am a little desperate to just get some sort of cycle so that at least I am at a starting point.
I have been looking through the archives and I have read up on provera and clomid. I wonder if I should maybe take provera to start my period and then see if I can get a period/cycle after that. Is provera something I can get over the counter? I am just getting a little anxious I will see my gynae at the end of this month if I still do not have a period and see what he says.
Secondly, when I was trying for my first child it took a year to fall pregnant and I also had irregular cycles of between 35 and 45 days or so. When my gynae did a scan my ovaries where very spotted and he suspected PCOS as I do have other symptoms. Blood tests however confirmed I had ovulated and that I was not PCOS. Is PCOS only diagnosed through blood tests or could I perhaps have mild PCOS?
Thank you for you time, I appreciate it.

You could have PCOS if this was suspected on the scan. With this background, you should not self medicate, but rather wait till you have seen your gynaecologist.

1
Posted by: Dee | 2009-06-10

It sounds very likely that you have PCOS. I have it too and my bloods are always 100% perfect. Its a strange disease as it presents itself differently in every person. I would suggest waiting to see your gynae and getting him to prescribe Provera and clomid on your next cycle. If you have fallen preg before then I wouldnt worry too much as you probably just need a bit of help.

Reply to Dee