Posted by: Celeste | 2009-09-03

Starter foods for fat baby with reflux

I would like to find out what is the best food to start feeding my baby. He has silent reflux, so is fat but his acid levels are shocking!

He is very hungry and has reached all the milestones (doubled birth weight, sits unassisted, lifts head, drinks more than 1 litre of milk per day, stares food out of my mouth, etc) for solid foods. He is 18 weeks or 4.5 months old and weighs 6.94kg. The sister at the clinic said I should start him on solid foods.

I don' t want to give him cereal as this will make him fat. I gave him butternut last night and he loved it! What other vegetables can I give him that won' t make him fat and that will fill him up? Because of his acid levels I don' t want to introduce fruits yet either.

What can you recommend?

Dear Celeste
The general consensus is that babies should not receive solids until they are 6 months old at which stage you can introduce cooked, pureed vegetables like the butternut, carrots, squash, or potato, and baby cereals. The latter will not contribute to weight gain if you reduce his milk intake moderately and give him plain clean water (boiled and cooled) to drink. Is your baby being treated for the reflux by a Paediatrician? If not, I would advise that you have him examined to see if there are no paediatric medications that can assist with the reflux. If you find that you are struggling with this condition, please also consider consulting a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assess your son to see what can be done if he is overweight and how you can manage the reflux.