Question
Posted by: concerned | 2008-12-10

Started off as Leg pain, now in hospital

This query is concerning my mother, who has been experiencing abnormal amount of cramping pain sensations right through her upper legs/thighs and sort of moves through to different parts of her legs-calves, she had no pain in her lower back, but was at times nauseous and feeling generally " unwell" .She had consulted her GP last week and he had prescribed some dicloflam and she had taken extra supplements in form of ultimag and calcimag.( She normlly takes it daily in any case). The condition worsened to a point where she could hardly walk because of the shooting pains in her legs almost constantly feeling like she was about to have a very bad cramp in parts of her legs.
Doctor admitted her to hospital in case there was perhaps a virus or some or other neuropathy. This was on Monday, all blood tests have been done showing nothing wrong, 6 x-rays done on L3,L4 &  L5 showing nothing out of the ordinary as well as a sonar. They did find a slight bladder infection which she had not even known that she had ( no pain or discomfort ) and a gallstone in on of the tubes of the gall bladder. These two things was said not to have anything to do with the leg problem. This is quite worrying as she has been just on painkillers through a drip as well as antibiotics. If they cant find anything wrong-then what are they administering the medication for? Could you perhaps advise me as to what your thoughts are of this matter.. could a gallstone cause these problems? She is 48 years old, has an iodine allergy from last year but in essence is very healthy at a good weight within the BMI index for her height.

Please help.

Dear Concerned
Common causes of leg pain are sciatica, vitamin shortages ( neuropathy), electrolyte disturbances ( too low calcium or potassium levels) hormonal ( menopause) I don't think the gall stone has anything to do with this. Rarer causes could be Addison's disease, porphyria and low magnesium levels. The iv antibiotics are probably for the bladder infection and the painkillers to make her comfortable. I don't know what blood tests they did so I don't know for what they looked, they will probably keep on looking until they find the cause - one should sometimes just be patient - it is like building a big jigsaw puzzle - only after you have a few pieces you will be starting to see the picture.

4
Posted by: Joy | 2009-04-29

My left leg feels very heavy and painful when walking. X-rays and bone scan have not revealed anything. A mri has been recommended. There is no reflex response in my feet and knees.
What could be the cause of this. thank you

Reply to Joy

Leg Cramp with nausea/sweat and low heart beat 45

Posted by: DR Bets | 2008-12-10

Thanks for comments Ruby!

Reply to DR Bets
Posted by: Ruby | 2008-12-10

Hello Concerned,
I am not a doctor, so wait for the doctors post. I am 32 and had a similar experience in the beginning of this year. The pain/cramps in my legs were really really bad, but even in hospital they did not figure it out at first. My HR was also irregular and I was admitted under a cardiologist. After a week in hospital he got another doctor involved and this doctor (after few days) figured out that my calcium was very low. They put me on calcium drips and that got rid of the pain! The doctor figured out I had pseudohypoparathyroidism and treated it with VitD and Calcium. After about 6-7 months I was completely well, but I continue with supplements. I would suggest that if you dont get a diagnoses to keep on looking for answers. If her doctors cant figure it out, try get an appointmnet with Dr Garry Hudson at Fourways Life hospital in fourways. He is brilliant and got me well, I was sick for about a year before I ended in his hands and he could diagnose and cure me. Kind Regards R

Reply to Ruby