Question
Posted by: MS Patient | 2008/09/15

Started getting headaches at age 43

On 12 August 2008 I developed OPTIC NEURITIS in my right eye, as a result of MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS. I was placed on a cortisone drip for three days, whereafter my vision recovered completely.

HOWEVER, I have now started getting pains in my skull bone at the top of my head and sometimes in the region of my right temple and the side of my right eye. I also get pains just under the eyebrow bone above my right eye. In addition to this, I get severe pain in my right ear. It is a sharp intermittent rhymic pain that comes mainly in the mornings and evenings, not so much in the middle of the day. It is always worse when I am lying down and I need to take disprins before going to bed for the eye, ear and head pain. This has been going on for five weeks already.

Is it normal to have so much POST OPTIC NEURITIS pain? And for so long? I am worried that I will need to carry on taking disprins for ever as I have heard that they can lead to renal failure. I have an aunt who had shingles many years ago, and still suffers severe pain as a result thereof. I hope that I am not going to follow the same path as her...

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear MS Patient,

It is a mistake to assume that the pains that you are now getting is post optic neuritis – it may be, but it may be completely unrelated. There is a reason for your pain, and a thorough examination of all the anatomical structures in the region is necessary, to ascertain exactly where the pain is coming from.

The worst thing that you can do is just go on taking pain killers, without ascertaining exactly where the pain is coming from and why the pain is occurring.

If you call me on 0825555763 any day after 4pm, I will be happy to discuss your alternatives.

With regard to your aunt, it is sometimes possible to do something about post-shingles pain, depending on where the pain is.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).