Posted by: Amo | 2009-03-26

Starchy food

I weigh 71kg,1.5m tall and 32 years. I' m trying to lose 13kg, how much starchy food should I eat and does starch change to fat?

Dear Amo
You have a BMI of 31,6 at present, so losing 13 kg would be an excellent idea as this would reduce your BMI to 25,8 which is close to the upper level of normal weight. All foods (starch or carbohydrates, protein and fat) will be used to produce fat if your energy intake exceeds your energy output. There is no need to cut out starches because carbohydrates have the lowest energy content (16 kJ/gram), while proteins provide 17 kJ/gram and fat provides a whopping 37 kJ/gram (alcohol provides 29 kJ/gram). So it is sensible to cut down on fat and alcohol intake rather than on carb and protein intake. Check out the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this Website (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). If you combine such a diet with an increased energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day, you will lose weight. While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming.