Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011-07-04

Starches

Dear Doc
Since January I do not eat any wheat products as it causes bloating. I need to lose about 20 kgs (10 to 15 cm around waist) but am patient and am doing so gradually. I have a problem incorporating other starches into my diet as it proves too much trouble. I have found that since giving up bread (it took about 8 weeks to get used to), my stomach no longer feels empty and I have to remind myself to eat. I do not like rye bread but eat some rye or maize crackers. Can I double up my oats for an extra carb? I have Gilbert''s Syndrome so do not eat other processed foods either. Please tell me if my daily intake looks okay.
Breakfast - Fruit, Oats, Milk
Snack - Fruit and yoghurt or nothing
Lunch - Lean protein and salad
Snack - Nuts and fruit
Dinner - Lean protein and veg with potato or brown rice or maize pasta
Snack - Milo or Nomu fat-free/sugar-free chocolate drink with milk

Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Dear Lee
You can double up oats as an extra carb. The diet you describe is adequate, and should over time produce weightloss. Other non-wheat starches include sorghum, millet and quinoa. You may find that when you add daily exercise to your regimen to lose those 20 kg, that having some additional carbohydrates will help boost your energy levels so that you are not tired all the time.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-07-04

Dear Lee