Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009-10-14

Staph Infection

Hi Dr, My husband has staph &  is prone to abscess/boils which spreads to me &  the kids. What can we do to minimise it (he has a nasal cream, should it be used daily?) &  once you have a boil how long before it goes septic. We generally treat it ourselves but sometimes the stubborn boils will linger &  need to be lanced.

Hi Bee
Let him use an antiseptic soap like Hibiscrub to bath with ( be careful it burns if it comes into the eyes) and yes he needs to use his nasal cream daily. As soon as a boil starts, he needs to put Bactroban on it and cover it with a Bandaid. He should not share towels or washcloths with you. If he gets it often, it may help to use a course of low dose antibiotic for a few weeks ( Bactrim/Erythromycin)

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009-10-14

Hi Bee

Reply to cyberdoc