Question
Posted by: Jenn | 2010-01-21

Standing during lunch healthy?

Hi doc

I work in an open plan office. The chairs and other furniture in our office are of those which promotes healthy sitting positions ect. The only thing that we don' t have is a place to sit and eat lunch and there isn' t really anything I can do about it.
Is it very unhealthy to stand in the kitchen and eat? When I have a sandwitch or salad for lunch I' ll sit at my desk but if I have leftover food that needs to be warmed up I don' t sit at my desk because then the whole office smells like food.

Dear Jenn
It is indeed unfortunate that the office you work in does not make provision for an area where you and your fellow workers can at least sit down and relax during lunch. It is not unhealthy to stand while eating (many cafes overseas do not provide seating), but this is not relaxing for the workers. Can't you go outside and sit on a bench or are you in the middle of the concrete jungle? The topic of a decent recreation area needs to be addressed, so get your colleagues together and make a submission to the management!

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-01-21

Dear Jenn