Question
Posted by: Me | 2009/12/04

Stairs climbing effective?

Hi FitnessDoc
I want to make my legs stronger, will climbing stairs daily help? its about 500 stairs. I also do walking. Will this alone be effective?thank you

It will, though I am not sure that one flight a day would do enough. I'm not sure if that's what you mean, or whether you'd do a structured session where you go up and down repeatedly. I'd guess that 500 stairs would take 4 to 5 minutes to get up (depends on the height of the stairs, I guess) and if you repeated that 4 times, it would be a good session.

So that will certainly help. Whether you'll get quite to where you want to be depends on where you want to be! If you want strength for walking, then yes, this will help a lot. But if you want to run or just get stronger, then some different types of training might be needed. However, I'd look at those later, depending on how this goes. Otherwise you would be adding too much too soon and complicating your life.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/12/11

Reply to fitnessdoc