Posted by: johanna | 2011-05-04

stages of hiv

Dear doc,
I was diagnosed with hiv 10years ago. I am on anti retroviral therapy. People are giving me convlicting info regarding the following:
Since two years ago I often get an outbreak of shingles on my face and neck. I have severe stomach problems (Swollen abdomen and runny stool) I am usually sickly with flu like symptoms. This weekend I started with a white caked, swollen tongue and closed swollen ear. My mouth is actually drawn to one side because of the swollen tongue.
Does this mean that the virus has now progressed to the next level, i.e aids?
Thank you for the service you give.

Unfortunately, it is clear that your immune system is severely compromises, hence the shingles, flu-like symptoms and oral candida. You should have a CD4 count done, as well as a total viral load count done. Medication can be manipulated to assist you in improving your immune system.