Posted by: Rose | 2012-01-26

Stage 4 CKD

My husband (63) has only one kidney. He lost his other due to a rugby injury when he was 14. He has always suffered from high blood pressure, at times not well controlled. Lately it has been well controlled with medication but his latest kidney function tests show a greatly reduced GFR level of 25. He is refusing to make any lifestyle changes and says he will not do dialysis when the time comes. His symptoms at the moment are extreme fatigue (sometimes sleeping up to 14 hours a day and still tired) lack of concentration and very poor memory, inability to make rational decisions, chronic itching, easy bruising and bleeding, sometimes swelling, diarreah often, numb feet especially at night, dizziness and disorientation to the point of falling over. I may have missed some, but these are the main ones. What I need to know is without any lifestyle changes and no dialysis when the time comes, how much longer can he expect to live a somewhat normal life. It is very difficult to stand by and watch him make no effort to stop the progression of his kidney disease.

I am sorry to learn about your husband's condition. He is in kidney failure and will need a kidney transplant. Unfortunately, I am unable to predict his prognosis. Try and motivate him to seek medical assistance. With a kidney transplant, his prognosis will increase considerably and he will be able to lead a normal life.