Question
Posted by: Nini | 2011/10/10

Staffy puppy

Hi there, pleae forgive my long post. So much to say...

We bought a 12 week old staffy puppy a few weeks ago, with the idea that it would be a family pet, and our daughter would grow up with the dog. Our daughter is now 20 months old. As cute as what she is, we are struggling to make everything work out. Our daughter cannot stand the dog, she moans as soon as she''s in the same room. The dog often overpowers her, and of course bites her constantly. Not to mention the horrible bites we''re getting too! She is now about 12 weeks old, so it''s probably still the baby teeth, is that why?

We are almost at a point of potty training her, but still struggling. She was sleeping inside with us, but we have found that the people we bought her from spoiled her terribly! Sleeping on the beds, lying on the couches, eathing off the table with them.. So we are now left to break these habits.

We feel so sorry for her because she''s alone all day outside. At night we have to balance our attention between the dog and the child, so as to not cause jelousy!!! Will this get better? We have been letting our daughter feed her, and that seems like a fun activity so far.

We walk her every evening, and she plays on the beach on weekends. We try give her as much attention as possible, but she it just never seems enough!!! She jumps, licks, runs around, bites, chews... All which I suppose is normal behavior, but slightly annoying at this stage!!!

Any other tips to make this transition with the pupppy and baby better? I am scared that this will turn into a jelous relationship, and they will resent each other. Our daughter has no interest in the dog whatsoever!!!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Nini, apart from your daughter not liking the dog, which is understandable given the pups behaviour, all the rest can be easily resolved, but - not on a forum! As there is a child involved and nips can be bad and get worse, I really suggest you get in a professional to help you sort out all the above. It really is not hard, you just need to be get the tools to do it and be shown how. Please let me know where you stay, either via the forum or via my email scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and I will put you in touch with somebody I know and trust in your area. Sorry cant help with this further via a forum! thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/10/10

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert