Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2010-09-15

Staffy Pupo Eating Older Dogs Food

My Staffy pup of 6 months is on Hills puppy food and gets cooked chicken with it. She used to eat separately from the other dogs but then would not eat so she was introduced with the others all eating in theik various places ikn the kitchen. They are old dogs and are on Ultradog with cooked chicken necks. It started off fine and she took her place but these days she wont eat either until very late (I have taken it away and give it at then9pm or 9.30pm) or she charges at the others food Ultra and gobbles that up. Seeing that is adult food surely she should stick with the puppy food or am I over reacting? Your advice would be appreciated. (And yes, I know I spoil the dogs, my vet reckons they should be on pelets alone but I have always given the dogs their chicken necks.)

Cat Lady

As long as the dog's are healthy then stick to what you are feeding them. I would not be overly concened regarding the puppies diet especially when he get's the addition of chicken. I do not foresee any problems.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-09-16

Cat Lady

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-09-15

My dogs are also on cooked chicken neck ''supplements'' and are doing fine. The giblets are too rich for my very ancient lad, and since I don''t do a la carte, they''ll all have to make do with the necks.

Eating the adult food isn''t going to harm the pup, unless the old ones take exception...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cat Lover | 2010-09-15

I also spoil my animals. I give the dogs chicken gizzards (hearts, stomach and liver). I would rather swop the necks for the other stuff as the bones create health issues. I had to take the one dog to the vet as a small piece of the bone tore her intestines and she was in lots of pain. I don''t think its a major problem if she eats the older dogs food as long as it is not Senior. Oh yes, remember to cut the livers and stomachs into smaller pieces. During the day all the animals eat pellets and the eat meat at night.

Reply to Cat Lover