Question
Posted by: Nini | 2012/01/30

Staffy &  Beagel

Morning, I posed a few weeks ago about my Staffy puppy that we are going to have fixed up. We have now decided taht we want to get her a friend and we have a found a pure breed Beagel puppy as our local SPCA - she was abandoned with a broken leg :-( ... We grabbed the opportunity with both hands and we are waiting to see if all goes well.

I just want to know if you could put my mind at ease as to whether we are making the right decision, as well as the right combination for the two dogs? We also have a 2 year old daughter, so we need to consider her too.

Will the staffy (7 months old) and the Beagel make a good combination? And will the Beagel (also female) be a good family pet?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Nini,honestly, not a good decision, and if the adoption has already been made, I really would suggest you take the Beagle back so that, while still small, it can find a more suitable home. There are a number of reasons why I say this:-
1. Staffy in general do not always get on with other dogs. In the ABC of Sa Comp chart of dogs, the two together only score a very low 2 out of 10 to get on well.
2. Two bitches together are much more likely to fight. this may not occur until youngest dog about 8/9 months when hierarchy becomes more important. Fights between bitches are not like between most males. Two males will have a fight to determine staus, then seem to get over it, two bitches can, and often do fight until severe damage is done.
3. Two young dogs together are less likely to bond with human family and you do not allow the full potential of each dog to develop, as you always have the follower/leader situation.
4. It is extremely important that all members of the family, especially your daughter, are higher up in the combined human/canine family that the dog.
5. Given your existing dogs breed you have to make absolutely sure that you undergo not only puppy training, but continued socialization to avoid anti social behaviour from this breed.

It really is important for the dog/s to see your little one as higher in the pack. There are some excellent articles in my website www.friendsofthedog.co.za on dogs and children and how to make the realtionship a good one, so please do have a look.
Sorry that my answer is not more positive!

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/01/30

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert