Question
Posted by: Nini | 2012/02/07

Staffy

I have just adopted a 2 year old Male Staffy. He has literally been through the mills, so we are now trying to get him back into shape. He survived a jump from a 2 story building a short while ago to escape being locked up in a small flat all day. Shortly after that he got into a fight with a great Dane, and then he got attacked by a Pit Bull. He is full of scars, the poor thing. He is very scared of any loud noises, and if we approach him to quickly then he gets petrified. I almost get the sense that he has been abused in some way. But I guess we''ll never know.

My question is with regards to his skin / coat: He has some sort of a problem with his coat. It looks extremely rough, and if you tub your hand over his coat then it is full if bumps all over. Extremely rough and the bumps feel like they could be approximately 1cm big each. I assume it''s some sort of allergy? He doesn''t scratch, so I dont think he has a tick or flea problem either. I cannot afford a visit to the Vet at this stage but will do so in the near future. But in the mean time I would like to get some advice on what I can do about his skin? I dont see any abrasions on his skin (except for the scars), and his coat looks very rough and tacky. And the bumps are accross his whole body. He is also very thin in my opinion for a Staffy of his age. How can I help this poor dog!

Hi Nini

I am sorry to hear of your predicament with your beloved Staffie.
Skin problems can be complicated and expensive to resolve. There are numerous skin conditions that may present as you have just described. If finances are a problem then you should consider visiting a welfare society or even phoning your local vet for some advice.
The basic advice I can give is that you ensure he is treated regularly for fleas/ticks/biting flies. See if you can get a medicated dog shampoo from a Vet shop or veterinary practice and wash according to the manufacturers instructions. If you find that there is no response then you need to seek medical advice.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/02/14

Hi Nini

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Nini | 2012/02/13

Okay well it''''s been a week and I haven''''t had a response. I thought I''''d uinform you that the dog has managed to run away. He went missing on Friday and according to neighbours he jumped over the wall - and according to our body corporate he has been doing so all week. We found him on Friday evening in the bushes on the beach. Needless to say on Sunday morning he disappeared again. This time we have had no luck at all finding him. We will contact the SPCA today to see if he has been found. But after hours and hours of searching, and countless business cards handed out everywhere, we have given up.

Reply to Nini