Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/04

Staffie Post 2

Hi Scotty

Thank you for the great advise. I am guilty. I let my staffie be with me all the time. Because I work during the day I love to spend time with him in the morning and let him be with me where ever I go. I have this anxiety of him being stolen out of the yard so always keeping an eye on him, not really a good thing cause I never let him out of my sight. So I see where you are coming from with the seperation anxiety.

Cause I feel cheated with not seing him during the day I spend time with him in the mornings as well as at night.

I will def practise your advise and think not just for him but for myself learn that he needs to be on his own.

We are thinking of keeping him in the garage (double) when both need to go out. Just make sure his got enough chewys and its clean and safe. Also will practice the leaving him in there for awhile.

The fear of losing him and him getting stolen is just so real within me. Like I can''t relax. So yes... Probably also not good for the little one.

I will step back. Can already hear my husbands I told you so.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, you've got me giggling with the hubby remark - know just where you are coming from!
Please dont feel guilty about it, you just didnt know any better. Thats why i do this forum and put up the friendsofthedog website, so that people can get the info they need. You have loved you dog and done the best you can, so pat yourself on the back please! I really would like you to consider bringing somebody to help you with this. There are so many other things that can be done apart from what i told you, but too complicated to do on aforum like this.
Do try and put the thought of him being stolen out of your mind - the fear and anxiety relating to this will be transferred to the dog and could actually be an element in his current behaviour - he is picking up on your stress. Just make your home as safe as you can when you are out and trust and know that he will be ok.
Wishing you all the luck in the world and do shout if you need anything, take care, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/05

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert