Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-02-16

Staffie Holiday

Hi There
Thanks for your reply. I took Ozzy to play with Bella (the rotweiler) again last night and they had fun. Also took them for a walk together.

How long should I walk Ozzy (4 months) and should he be walked every day?

I will be following your advice and take him to sleep over or at least spend the whole day with his foster parents when we are away so my friend can just keep an eye on them for the day to see if they cope together.

my parents also offered to look after him but they dont have any dogs and he will be sleeping outside which is not really an option for me as I feel you kill two birds with one stone by sociailising him and giving him a some exercise when he stays over at my friends house with their dog.

One thing is for sure, I am going to miss my dog so much. will he experience problems when we are back with the fact that he will be the only dog again?

Sorry for the stupid questions but ozzy is my first dog and I just want the best for him.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, not stupid questions at all! With regard to the walking, do check with your vet and see what he advises. Personally if you can walk your dog every day, then go for it! A dogs sense of smell is over 40 times stronger than humans and the walks provide not only physical stimulation, but mental stimulation as well. A dog that is taught bite inhibition, well socialized to other dogs and receives regular walks and human contact, is a recipe for a happy, well adjusted dog! You are only gone for a week and i dont think he will have problems being an only dog again, just keep up the socialization, get him into puppy school and provide good quality chew toys for when you have gone and keep up the exercise. I am sure you will miss him, but as long as you know he is safe and happy you can relax and enjoy your holiday. What you could consider doing is arrange with your parents that if there are any problems between the dogs, that they take Ozzy to your house. Have a lovely break and do let me know how it went when you get back. take cares, Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-02-16

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert