Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/02/14

Staffie and Rotweiler 4 months

Hi There
I have a 4 month old Staffie, we love him to bits and he has a very happy life. What an enjoyment he is. We have introduced him to a new play mate on Saturday, Bella a Rotweiler also just over 4 months and they got along fine, played and played and played. I also took him to Bella’ s home yesterday. I know her owners very well and they seemed to be getting on very well.
We are going on holiday for 7 days towards end of February and Bella’ s owners offered to look after Ozzy for the time we are on holiday. At the moment Ozzy is staying inside but there he will be staying in the garage with door to garden and mostly outside with Bella. I think they would be fine but a bit nervous about leaving the two together during the day. They are however secure as it’ s a very secure complex they live in.
The one owner will be home for most of the time we are away to keep an eye on them but for the first two days they will be home alone during the day.
At the moment we are taking him to get use to their place as much as possible.
Any useful tips would be appreciated.
I am going to miss my little guy so much!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Kasandra, i would keep on doing exactly what you are doing now, and as much as possible, even leaving him overnight for one night before you go away to see how he copes. Is there no way the dogs can sleep inside? A dog is so much safer being inside a house to guard against poinsoning and is a much better deterrant towards possible burglars. It is such a pleasure to come across owners like you who make sure there dogs get the social interaction they need - well done and enjoy your holdiay! Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/02/14

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert