Question
Posted by: Nicky | 2009-03-26

Stabbing pains in big toes

Hi doc, Im not sure whats going on but for the last week Ive been waking up with stabbing pains in either my left or right big toe. Last night I was waken up by pains in my right toe so bad I wanted to cry. Its not swollen but feels a little bit numb on the one side. Its so bad its scaring me. so far it has only occurred during the night and it has been getting progressively worse. Hope you can help. Thanks

Dear Nicky
Pain in the toe can be caused by certain inflammatory diseases like gout, or can be inflammation in the joint due to over use, or it can be caused by inflammation of the nerve that supplies the toe or even a nerve root pinching in your lower back. You may need to let your doctor examine you to find the cause of this. He may need to do x/rays of the joint or of your lower back.