Question
Posted by: Sipho | 2012-08-23

Stabbing pain on breast

Hello Doc

I am breastfeeding, my baby is 10 months old. Lately I have been experiencing this excrutiating stabbing pain on my right breast. It''s mostly on the nipple and runs on the inward side to under the breast. It''s like I am being stabbed with needles deep in the breast. My nipple doesn''t become white after she breastfeeds but it does get pointed. I don''t feel the pain while breastfeeding but it starts a few minutes after. Today it has lasted the whole day, I pump milk at work. What could be causing this and what can I do to help stop the pain? Please help

Sipho

It is possible that you have mastitis, due to infection of the breast tissue. You will have to consult your doctor for an examination, as soon as possible. In the interim, you can continue pumping the milk and breastfeeding. To alleviate the pain, you can put cold cabbage leaves on your breasts. Put the cabbage in the refrigerator. This really works well and you can use it as often as needed. Please do not stop breastfeeding - your baby will not get sick.

1
Posted by: Sipho | 2012-08-24

Dear Doc

I also have noticed something else. For the past 2 weeks I have been having these period like pains and I thought it''s the operation since it was cold (I gave birth with emergency C-Section). So I have been keeping myself warm and using a hot water bottle in the office and at home. Yesterday I noticed that I was bleeding a little when I wiped after peeing. This morning I went to the toilet again and I had a bloody stool and there was a few small clots and I saw lots of blood with clots as I wiped infront. I haven''t had periods after giving birth. I last had periods on 25/12/2010. What could this be? The OP or COLD or maybe my periods are returning?

Reply to Sipho