Question
Posted by: Linda Van Der Jonke | 2010-10-12

Stabbing eye pain

I get this horrible pain behind my eye. Its a stabbing pain and when I wake up in the morning it feels as if the back of my eye is attached to a string. Its the best way I can describe it. I also have sty''s in my eye. But its the terrible stabbing pain behind the eye that worried me. The pain is also located down my neck. Its terrible. Often it feels like my eye and neck are swollen and then I get panic attacks thinking there is damage. What is this Doc?

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Linda,

It is interesting that you have the eye pain together with the neck pain, as that is a common occurrence in headache sufferers – fortunately it is not usually anything serious, even though it feels that way. There are a number of things that can cause this problem, and to get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2010-10-12

Dear Linda,

Reply to Headache expert