Question
Posted by: Therese | 2012-10-30

Stab like pains in both my lower and right abdomen after my miscarriage and D& C

Hi Doctor

I wonder if you could help.

I have been having stab like pains in both my lower and right abdomen after my miscarriage and D& C (the procedure was done 3 weeks ago). At first I thought it might be a UTI but there is no irritation or burning when urinating.

Last night I woke up and I had terrible pain on my right lower abdomen that sort of spread across my whole stomach. Sitting up seemed to make it worse. It only lasted for about an hour and it seemed to get better when I literally rolled myself in a ball. All of this was accompanied by nausea.

This morning I feel okay, just lingering pain on both sides again.

Should I go see a doctor? Thank you.

Therese

It is very important to consult your doctor. It is possible that you have an infection as a complication of the D&C. I also suggest that your doctor ask for an ultrasound of the contents of your pelvis to exclude the possibility of an ectopic pregnancy or the formation of an abscess.