Question
Posted by: Sheldon | 2010-01-11

St Bernard licking so much that he has cause a new wound

Dear Cyber Vet

I have an 8 year old St Bernand called Newton. A month ago he fell into a 30 cm deep trench and got a small cut on his hind leg. I shaved his leg  cleaned the wound and took him to the vet. My vet gave him an anti-biotic and told how to adapt a 20l paint bucket to use as a collar to stop him from licking (they did not have a collar big enough for him). After a week the wound had healed and I took the bucket off Newton.

I few days later I noticed that Newton had been licking his hind leg so much that he had caused a new superficial wound close to the old cut’ s scar. I put the bucket back on him and took him to the vet on the 1 January. The vet said that the new wound was healing/ drying rather well and that I would be able to take off the bucket permanently by the 4th. I took the bucket off on the 8th Jan and after leaving Newton for a few hours I could see that he had been licking again.

How do I get my dog to stop licking? His wound has completely healed and should not be itchy.

Dear Sheldon

Use Avert, a bitter apple spray that will stop the licking.

1
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-01-12

Dear Sheldon

Reply to Cybervet