Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2012-03-14

St Bernard and Vetmedin

Our St Bernard was diagnosed with a heart condition that requires medication for life. This includes Fortecor 20mg and Vetmedin 5mg. It is going to cost us roughly R2,000 a month and as things currently stand, it will be almost impossible for the next few months to pay that much. Are there generics to these medications? What are we to do!?!? We care a lot about him and will continue to cut the budget and get him the medication but we are desperate for a generic or alternate solution. As it is we have the current bill of R 2,800 to pay. I''m so stressed out right now.

Hi Debbie

There are other ACE inhibitors (for example Fortekor) on the market that are cheaper than the current product you are using. I am uncertain if there is a generic for Vetmedin in SA. You need to discuss this matter with your vet and inform them of your financial situation and see if the practice may consider discount e.t.c. Alternatively you can ask your vet for a prescription and see if you can get the medication online or from another veterinary practice.

I do hope that you get this resolved.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

9
Posted by: Elza | 2016-07-27

My Princess Ellie crossed the rainbow bridge recently, and I have a full container of Vetmedin 5mg (and a bunch of other meds which would probably be of no use, but maybe...). At my vet, that's R 973.00, and I can't bring myself to throw them away and would love to give them to someone? I am in Fourways / North Riding area Johannesburg. Please contact me elza@watercare.co.za if you can use them?

Reply to Elza | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Jenna | 2016-07-27

Hi Elza, I'm so sorry about your Ellie :( My girl Phoebe has just been diagnosed with heart failure and requires Vetmedin but we simply cannot afford it right now after the R5000 vet bills these past two weeks. I love my girl and I was hoping to find a generic online then I found your post. Could we please chat privately?

Posted by: Marie Potgieter | 2015-06-17

the generic for Fortekor is Enap, which is very cheap. The generic for Vetmedin is Pimobendan, but does not seem to be available in SA.

Reply to Marie Potgieter
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012-03-22

Hi Debbie

I do hope that you get this resolved.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: steph | 2012-03-18

Hello,

i have a dog with the same condition, unfortunately generics are not widely available in south africa. my little dog was diagnosed about 6 years ago with CHF. the cost was way too high, and i was devastated. i decided in the end to try homoeopathic medicine. that was 6 years ago...my dog is 18 now!!

my advice to you is to contact jane fraser homeopathic vet in durban. please feel free to email me at stephiestephie102 at gmail.com and i will try to give you as much info as possible because i understand how devastating this is! there really is a lot that can be done to help your dog.

my little chap is still doing well, and he runs when he is out on his walks...!! i''d say for 18 that is pretty good!! his heart is a mess in tems of all the things wrong with him, but he is just doing so well...i cannot recommend jane enough!! please email me and i will do what i can to help

Reply to steph | 4 comments (hide)
Posted by: Angus | 2016-03-03

Hi Steph I have a little Daxie with the same problem CHF plus diabetes and also finding the meds expensive. I spoke to Dr Fraser in Durban but she has to see the dog to prescribe . I am in Port Elizabeth! Can you give me the name of the medication you are giving your dog and I can speak to the vet here for her opinion Many thanks Angus adavison247@gmail.com

Posted by: Dr Peter Comfort (not a vet) | 2015-08-13

Steph - got your details off a message of yours 2012. My Boston terrier needs Vetmedin (Pimobendsan) at huge cost. Did you find a solution? My emaill address is evensong@hotmail.co.za

Posted by: Marie | 2015-06-17

Seth, my little one very ill with CHF. She is on Enap (generic for Fortekor), Vetmedin and Fuoresimide, but still suffers. Had her at the vet again yesterday whom increased Fuoresimide. May I ask you to give me advise? My email address is immpotgieter@gmail.com. Bless you.

Posted by: Marie | 2015-06-17