Question
Posted by: Lee | 2010/03/23

Squash

Whenever I go onto health or fitness sites I see all the sports under the sun, but never a mention of squash. I have been playing for 8 months now, 3 times a week, an hour at a time (a little obsessed}, and it is an excellent cardio workout, why is it so under-rated? The question I have is that I am battling to loose weight, after the initial spurt, I''ve hit a plateau and seem to be packing on the pounds, building muscle is one thing, but I''m really getting flabby around my tummy and getting bigger on my upper body (legs are firm though). Do I need to increase my workouts to 5 times a week and make my workouts longer, does squash change a women’ s body shape to a less ''feminine'' shape. I love the game, and feel a bit depressed at the turn of events after all this all hard work. I am fit and healthy, and never been skinny, more ''solid'', I am 5 foot 2 and my weight has increased in the last 5 months by 8kg''s to 68 kg''s, so my BMI is sitting at a very unhealthy obese. I am eating probably less than I was before, low GI etc, had all blood tests done, all 100%, hormone levels fine, thyroids fine. I can''t understand it, everytime I get on the scale,(and clothes), I''m packing on pounds - help!

Hi Lee

It's not a very accessible sport, and I think that's the reason. The problem for the general guy who wants to get fit is that they don't have access to squash courts unless they join a club, and if you don't have the incentive (like a friend who is a member) then you will tend to find other forms of training. There's also a cost factor associated with it, but that's relatively minor if you consider that people spend money on gym memberships. To me, squash's problem is its inaccessibility - you're lucky to have access, but there are 10 who don't for every 1 who does.

As for your question, I'd say yes, if you could add sessions per week, it will help. I don't think you should make each one longer just yet, that may come later. But there's some research that has shown that the frequency of training is the main predictor of successful fat burning and weight loss. So four is better than three, five is better still. So if you can find another day or two it would help - doesn't need to be squash either. A jog, or a gym session, just for the variety would help. You'd also get fitter for squash, which would help your enjoyment levels more.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/03/27

Hi Lee

Reply to fitnessdoc