Question
Posted by: Hazey | 2008/05/27

"Spurs" and odd bumps!

I'm in my late 60's: my wrists often ache and base of thumbs sometimes throb sharply at night. I go to a Ladies' Gym which has helped me to limber up, but maybe I've overdone it a bit on the hydraulics, because my wrists seem to be pinching a nerve from the arm to the hands which results in a shooting pain from the wrist down the arm if I stretch it upwards. Wrist guards seem to help a little bit and I've taken a break from Gym!!
My query: Over the last 10 years my bones (apart from a bunion on one foot) seem to be developing bumps (front of kneecap) and spurs (had a really nasty one surgically removed from under my heel and x-rays showed several more in other areas) - is it a lack of something in my diet? My husband doesn't have these problems - we take a variety of vitamins and eat a lot of green leafy veg, fruit, pulses and dairy, with less meat. We don't take calcium, but my bone density tests about 5 years back were fine. ....??

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dea Hazey
Some people are just more prone to developing all these bony knobs, but it is probably part an parcel of the wear and tear changes (osteo-arthritis) that you have. The wrist pain may be a Carpal tunnel syndrome (pinched nerve in the Carpal Tunnel leading to the hand. Let your doctor do a check-up and maybe prescribe some anti-inflammatories if necessary.

2
Posted by: Healthy Bones Expert | 2008/06/04

Agree totally- my Carpal Tunnel is definitely worse when I spend hours in front of th PC!

Reply to Healthy Bones Expert
Posted by: Hazey | 2008/05/29

Thank you for your always excellent advice. My daughter (an OT) has identified one of the causes of the more severe wrist pain in my right hand: my new modern pc workstation with pullout keyboard shelf had no place for the pc mouse, so I was stretching my arm forward to the desktop in an ergonomically bad position to use the mouse. We have now reorganised, and I have noticed a definite improvement. Perhaps other readers may like to check their pc layouts to see whether they are "user friendly", if they are experiencing similar strange wrist aches and pains...?

Reply to Hazey