Posted by: Biff | 2009-02-03

Sprecribed dosage for depression

I was diagnosed with depression and given a prescription for Depnil 300mg, I was told to take 2 tablets a day, i.e. 00mg per day. On the manufacturers website it says that in accute cases 325mg have been prescibed. Should I be worried? If I drink both tablets together it seriously puts me on a different planet. I am also very aggitated with my kids/wife these days. Seeems to be the damm pills. They did sort the depression but am worried that its too heavy. How do I ween myself from the pills? I been taking them for 2 years +

Any sound advice?

Obviously you need to call your doc and ask him about this, but it does sound high. Depnil is Clomipramine, and in treating Depression, one would generally start at 25 mg at night, building up soon to 75 to 100 mg a day in dividied doses. THouigh some would go as high as 300-350 mg a day ( not more ) this would be uncommon, and only on the advice of a specialist psychiatrist. After 2 years you may well be ready to come off the drug --- again, your prescribing doc should advise about how best to come off them gradually, depending omn the dose and the strength of tablet you are taking. If the depression return in the future, there are more modern drugs for depression, not especially expensive, effective and with less side-effects

Posted by: Annie | 2009-04-16

I have recently been prescribed Depnil and am taking 150mg in the morning and 150mg at 16h00. I t has made the world of difference to me, with no side effects.

Reply to Annie