Question
Posted by: Beastly | 2011-08-16

Spraying Citronella oil to prevent hyper active pup from biting

My 5 month old pup always seems to be in a hyper active state. He tends to bite quite a lot while in this state. He''s either trying to chew our toes off or goes for any piece of our clothing that seems to be hanging by the side and he sometimes even jumps and bites our legs while walking.

We''ve tried everything from walking away from him when he behaves like this, to putting him in a " time out"  for 2 minutes by locking him in the room, or putting him between our legs and trying to make him sit to relax him. But nothing works.

Someone told me that 1 other way to resolve the issue is to spray a mixture of citronella oil and water around my legs whenever my pup attempts to bite and I was wondering if this would be a good bet?

Is there any other way to stop him from biting or even preventing him from getting into the hyper active state in the first place?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Beastly, this has obvisiously turnined into a great game for your dog and you are going to have to put in some work to stop the behaviour.

I would not spray citronella or water on him, as depending on the dog, this can actually cause reactive behaviour in some dogs. Rather put pure citronella oil on your clothes and feet and clothing to deter him from trying.

It sounds a bit to me like the dog is not sure who is highest in the combined human/hierarchy pack and is pushing his luck. i would suggest that you bring in basic House Rules (article on this on Health 24 site ), teach the dog bite inhibition and the leave cue.This current behaviour is unacceptable and must be stopped as soon as possible.

Also, from a management cue, dont let the dog get excited, the second it starts, either walk away (out of the room) and return about 30 seconds later, or learn how to settle the dog. This needs to be practised over and over.

There is rather a lot to be covered as behaviour like this is normally a result of other factors and due to this I really would suggest getting in a professional to help you. I dont know what breed your dog is and this could be an additional factor to consider. The last thing you want is to have a Boerboel, Pitti, GSD, Rotti etc doing this when bigger. An additional factor why i would recommend professional help is that your dog will soon be going into the adolescent period when behaviour goes tend to go for a burton and rather fix this before this difficult period.

If you cant find somebody to help you, do contact me via my email and i will put you in touch with somebody. Thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-08-17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert