Sprained/swollen ankle

I injured my ankle 7 seven years ago by falling over my own feet while running downhill in heels. I went to my GP who did a little bit if infra-red therapy, and he just suggested rubbing the wounded area (the ligaments under my ankle) with Arnica oil. This worked and in a few short weeks my ankle was fine. In Febraury this year, I went for my last hike, and i think i aggravated the ankle/made it worse by walking on the rocky beaches of Cape Point during this hike. As a result thereof, my ankle is now permanently tender. It keeps swelling up after excessive walking or standing and I afraid to get back into running because it feels like there is very little strength in my ankle. What do i do? And will i be able to run again?

Dear Anonymous
Please let a physiotherapist evaluate the ankle for you, you may have injured a ligament and may need to wear a brace to support it while getting some therapy for it. The problem is that if a ligament is torn and it is not managed optimally, you could end up with a permanently weak ankle.