Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-08-03

Sprained Big Toe Left Foot

Dear Doc, I am 70 and fell over one of my dogs during the night a ffew weeks back on my sore hip Ileft side. It was so painful that after two days I had it x-rayed but nothing could be found. The toe was bloodred at first and very swollen. The redness has mostly gone but the pain is still there and is going up my shin. The whole foot is also swollen but not that much any more. I am limping like hell and I normally walk very quickly in spite of the arthrtic hip. Do you know if I should have it seen to by a doctor and if it is no broken, why does it feel so painful. Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Cat Lady

It is possible that you damaged the ligaments of the big toe joint, this would not have shown up on x-ray. If ligaments are damaged it can take a long time to heal as they have a poor blood supply. I suggest you rest the foot, use an ice pack on it, take anti-iflammatories. There is nothing much more you can do; you've had an x-ray and there is no bone damage so you just have to rest it and wait for it to get better.