Question
Posted by: Spotting whilst breastfeeding | 2011/02/15

Spotting whilst breastfeeding

I have been breastfeeding for the past 6 months, solely for 5 months and now supplementing with formula. I have been spotting daily since after 6 weeks of delivery of my baby who is now 6 months. I saw my gynae and she said it''s a period and it is normal to spot, as long as it''s not a full period. I am on Microval pills for birth control. I have to use 1 pantyliner a day for the brownish/reddish discharge ever since. I would like to continue breastfeeding but the discharge is putting me off. Please advise if I should see a doctor or if this is normal

It is normal with breastfeeding and Microval.

3

Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/16

The spotting is likely related to the microval - in some women it stops their periods completely, and in others they seem to have a continual light period.

perhaps consider using the mirena instead.

Reply to Purple