Question
Posted by: Anne | 2010-08-28

spotting while pregnant

I am 6 and a half weeks pregnant. On tuesday morning I had a light -very light- brownish discharge. I went to the gynae and she did a sonar that showed I have a bleed on the opposite side to what the placenta is.

She told me to not worry about it, as it should clear up. She booked me off work for the week, and said no gym or sex for 2 weeks. She gave me progesterone tabs twice per day, and said I must come for a sonar in 2 weeks time.

I''ve done all she advised, but am at times still getting the coloured discharge - which is then spotting.

1. What causes this kind of bleed.
2. How will it clear up? What will make it stop?
3. Does this bode badly for my ability to maintain this pregnancy? Or does it not necessarily mean I will miscarry?
4. Will the prgesterone help?
5. What can I do to make this better?
And why wait 2 weeks before going back for a sonar?

Please give me some advice. I''m desperately worried.

Anne

1. This is called a threatened miscarriage and most times the cause is not known.
2/3. 85% of cases will settle down on their own and the pregnancy will continue normally. The body solves the problem on its own.
4. Progesterone helps if the cause is a low progesterone.
5. Pregnancies change very slowly. Just as there is no point in weighing yourself every day, there is no point in scanning before 2 weeks.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-08-31