Question
Posted by: annie | 2008/06/12

spotting. Normal?

I am very worried, i have been on Femodene for almost 5 years and for the first time i am experiencing spotting. I had my actual period 2 weeks ago and have been spotting since the day before yesterday. After my period and before the spotting i had unprotected sex. Could the spotting be an early sign of pregnancy (contraception failure) or is it probably something else? the spotting blood is not a lot and is a very dark brown. I also heard a rumour that herbs can make the pill less effective and can lead to spotting? is this true? I drink a lot of greentea everyday. Please tell me your opinion on if you think there is a chance i could be pregnant, Is spotting normal amongs woman who have been taking birth control for a long period of time? I take my pills at almost the same time everyday and never miss pills

Thanks in advance

Dear Annie
spotting is common even if you take contraception and is not necessarily a sign of pregnancy. It sometimes just happens due to hormonal changes. If you are worried, you can do a home pregnancy test for your own peace of mind. If this persists please discuss with your doctor as you may need a stronger formulation.

2
Posted by: K | 2008/08/11

I have experienced similar symptoms and have been on Mercilon for almost 6 years. I skipped my period last month and then for a week before my period i began spotting (the same not a lot and quite brown in colour). This continued for the week and then went straight into my normal period for this month, however i am still on now - so basically its been for about 2 weeks... Is this at all normal? I am unable to get to a doctor right now so if you have any advice please let me know?!

Reply to K
Posted by: Lee | 2008/06/12

I've been on the pill for 5 years too, and i have spotting. I think they call it break through bleeding. I also never used to get it, but suddenly i just got it and my gyne said it's normal. But not 100% so rather take advice of a proper doc. Hope all goes well.....

Reply to Lee