Posted by: Mama to be | 2012-12-11

Spotting in early pregnancy

I had cysts removed on both ovaries in February this year and finally, God blessed me and I’ m pregnant.

I had a scan done on 24th November 2012 and according to the scan and measurement of the gestation sac, I was 5 weeks and 4 days at the time, the sac was empty, and there was no fetal pole detected.
The sonographer asked me to return 10-14 days later, however, I only scheduled an appointment for Saturday, 14th December because I didn’ t want to be disappointed and see an empty sac again so I thought I’ d wait a bit longer.

I’ ve been cramping throughout my pregnancy thus far but it’ s very mild, it’ s not concerning me because I read it’ s normal with the uterus stretching etc. I just started worrying in this week when I started spotting (light brown) and again today. The cramps are still there but it’ s very mild.

Somebody please tell me if I should be very concerned about the spotting because Saturday seems forever for me to see the sonographer and it’ s not like I can try and move my appointment sooner, I’ m having a cash consultation so Saturday is the only time for me.

Hope you have had good news.

Posted by: Mama to be | 2012-12-16

Hi Melody,

I went to my GP immediately and she couldn''t pick up anything on the scan. She did an progesterone test and I was still experiencing light spotting and mild cramps. The doctor called me in with the results on Friday 14th December, painful day I will never forget and she told me my progesterone levels are extremely low, they were 20 and from how far I was in my pregnancy, they were supposed to be between 80 and 100. She prescibed cyclo something which is a hormone to increase my progesterone levels. Staright after I came home I saw clots as thick as liver coming out of me and it was painless. From light spotting to these huge clots, it was the most traumatic experience of my life. My mum rushed me to hospital and I was taken to maternity where the nurse asked me to pee in a cup and in an attempt to do so, I bled the fetus in the cup and seen it with my own two eyes, I just cried but I was grateful I did not bleed it down the toilet. So long and short of it for any ladies reading this, if you are spotting wheteher it''s accompanied by cramps or not, take it veryseriously because something is horribly wrong. I had an evacuation of the uterus done and my gynae was most sympathetic. I pray to God my next pregnancy will be successful.

Reply to Mama to be
Posted by: melody | 2012-12-11

hi dear

please go to a gp or gyne as soon as possiable cause u will never know whats happening.i also started feeling mild cramp and spotting and and only to be rushed to the ER after loosing the baby at 10 weeks....

Reply to melody